Bob Baker's Forum. www.bobbaker.tv

To return to the main page, click Board Index. If you wish to join our forum please Email me at microlearn@microlearn.fsnet.co.uk, giving me the user name you want.
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: K9 Series Questions from "rabid" K9 fan! :-)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 pm 

Just registered for this site and wanted to say first of all a BIG "THANK YOU" to Bob Baker (and Dave Martin) for creating my favorite robotic sidekick in all of Science Fictiondom! :-) I've always found the "sidekicks" to be my favorite characters - whether it be R2D2 & C3PO in Star Wars, Twiki in Buck Rogers, Vincent in the Black Hole, Muffy in the original Battlestar Galactica - but K9 is my favorite and combines my geeky love of computers and technology with my affection for pets. In short, an amazing creation that is at once familiar and welcoming to the majority of people.

Now on to my questions regarding the K9 Series:

1. Nostalgia question here - the synopsis of the first episode implies that when we first see K9, he is the model that we saw on "Doctor Who" that stayed on Gallifrey with Leela. IF this is the case, can you tell us if the prop used for these initial scenes (before K9 is rebuilt in his series proper design) was the same prop used on Doctor Who? Or was a new one built especially for this scene? (or perhaps it was cgi?)

2. Regarding K9's new design for his series, will we get to see what he looks like anytime soon? Or must we wait until the Series airs? I understand the model in the series will be different from any of the ones we have thus far scene (i.e. not the one on the "Who's a Good Dog?" poster or the brief animated sequences on the "K9 & Company" DVD Extras - both of which I thought look fantastic!).

3. Who will be providing K9's voice? I had heard it will be a new voice and not John Leeson - is this true? Will the voice approximate K9's cute and friendly tones that we all know and love or will it be something totally new? Oddly, I find the idea of K9 looking totally different easier to accept than him sounding completely different - thus my (and other fans') concern over his voice! :-)

4. A long while back I had read that there were plans in place for merchandising based on the new K9 series. Is this still planned? If action figures are planned, will they be in compatible scale with Character Options 5" scale line of Action Figures? And on a related note - the R2D2 Astromech Droid that is voice controlled and has many built in sensors and motors and is about as "lifelike" as you can get - K9 is an absolute must for this sort of high technology toy! Are there any plans for such a toy? It would easily be the top selling toy for whatever Christmas is closest to its release! And though it would undoubtedly be based on the new series design - offering him in both new and classic models would be awesome!!! :-)

Thanks so much for any answers you can give, and can't wait to see our lovable tin Pup in action!!! :-)

Post subject: Re: K9 Series Questions from "rabid" K9 fan! :-)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 pm 

Dear Rabid fan!

Welcome aboard.

The new - regenerated- K9 is still under wraps for the moment, but there will be a release of pics very soon, probably at the MIP TV in Cannes.

Paul Tams and I are very pleased with the new look and especialy with his CGI movement.

We have built a copy of old K9 for the opening scenes, identical to the one Leela had in Galifrey.

There is great debate about the voice, I take your point about using John, but, it being a co-production we have many masters to please, but I'm sure you and all K9 fans will like what we eventually come up with since new K9 is the same character and his speech patterns are the same.

As regards merchandising, nothing has ben finally agreed yet, bet there is a menagerie of super monster 'uglies' . I have no doubt the manufacturers will use some common sense in deciding the sizes of the figures.

Hope this is of help.

Look out for New K9 very soon now.

Thanks for you interest.

Bob Baker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm 

Hi Bob, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new K9 series and I'm so glad to hear that the metal mutt will make his debut in his original guise before carking it and regenerating. The single shot of the new version looks rather funky too, so I await to see more of him.

K9 holds a particular fascination over me, he was in Doctor Who when I was really rather young and I always wanted one. I made a few copies over the years, but none of them were any good if I'm honest... well, I was only 10 at the time of making the last one. However, for a couple of years now I've been working on a replica (in the scant few minutes that I get free these days) and I thought that you may like to see how it's looking so far - my two year old loves him!

A while back, during the process of adapting the head and resculpting it into the correct shape:

And here we are, almost there. The main bulk of the head is done, now he just needs to get his head top lid on, the head and body attached to one another, a new back computer to be made and all the little details added and finally a lick of metallic grey paint. The one thing that I'm most proud of is finding the original supplier of the rubber gaitor for his neck and getting them to make me one from the specs in their archives... they stopped making these just prior to K9 appearing in WHO, so it was a lucky find at the time for Tony Harding when he came to build the original prop!

Anyway, hope you like the build and now with the new series, I can see a new replica on the horizon!!! Look, three exclamation marks, must be serious. Good luck with the show - not that you'll need it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 pm 

bobbaker wrote:
There is great debate about the voice, I take your point about using John, but, it being a co-production we have many masters to please, but I'm sure you and all K9 fans will like what we eventually come up with since new K9 is the same character and his speech patterns are the same.

Hello Bob.

Perhaps John could dub a UK version, with an international voice to keep those masters happy :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:37 am 

First off, I am one of those sad old fans in their 30s who grew up with Dr Who and fell in love with K9 a very long time ago and I recognise that however nostalgic I am, this show if for the new young audience and not me. That said, I am disproportionately excited about this series. So I wish everyone involved with it the greatest of success.

I like the new design, even though it may take me a while to get used to the ears!!

The discussion about the voice is interesting. Now, I understand this has to appeal to the new audience but K9’s always had a two pronged appeal for the audience and the witty lines and delivery have always been a significant part of his charm for the adults watching with their kids. If you really had to change the voice, then the “regeneration” part of the script may be a good point to do that.

However, for me and most of the long term fans from Aus, The UK and US K9 IS his voice and to be brutally honest and commercial – a massive proportion of any tie-in products from DVDs to toys is going to be purchased by that older audience coming to the show with nostalgia for whom a new voice would not be an incentive to stay with the show and buy the products for themselves of their kids.

Of course, giving K9 anything other than an English voice is out of the question, probably more so for the non-UK fans than those in the UK.

Anyway, I really wish the show well with all my heart and look forward to enjoying more adventures with K9.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:43 am 

Thanks for your kind comments

Bob